* Notice to visitors: Obituaries on this page are for 2014. Previous obituaries can be viewed by the following links: 2013 Archives, 2012 Archives, 2011 Archives, 2010 Archives, 2009 Archives, 2008 Archives, 2007 Archives, 2006 Archives, 2005 Archive
* Funeral service for Helen D. Haun, 82, of Spencer, will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, March 8, in the Spencer United Methodist Church with burial in the Union Cemetery near Spencer. Helen Haun passed away Sunday, March 2, in the Butte Health Care Center. Visitation is scheduled from 4 until 7 p.m. Friday in Brockhaus Funeral home of Spencer.
* Funeral service for Ronald W. "Ronnie" Schumann, 66, of Butte, March 7, in the Butte Community Center with burial in the Butte City Cemetery with military rites conducted by the Naper Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8256. Ronnie Schumann passed away March 3 in the Golden Living Center at O'Neill.
* A memorial service will be held at a later date for Lucile M. Sieker, 89, of Bassett. Lucile Sieker passed away March 2 in the Rock County Long Term Care at Bassett. Survivors include daughter Carol Freeman of Omaha; sons-in-law Walter Porter of Bassett, and Milton Lewis of Newport; numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren; brother Charles Kelly of Gordon; sister-in-law June Kelly of Ainsworth; and nieces and nephews. Hoch Funeral Home of Bassett is in charge of arrangements.
* Funeral service for Clarence E. Ruther, 96, of Springview, March 7, in Hoch Funeral Home of Ainworth with burial in the Mount Hope Cemetery near Springview with military rites. Clarence Ruther passed away March 2 in the Parkside Manor at Stuart. Survivors include sister-in-law Elaine Ruther of Valentine; and several nieces and nephews, including Bernadette Dickau of Waterloo, Joanie Mack of Omaha, and Raymond Shaffer of Atkinson.
* A memorial service for Duane Stewart Osborn, 80, of Pierre, S.D., formerly of Ainsworth, will be held April 26 in the Ainsworth United Methodist Church. Duane Osborn passed away Feb. 27 at Pierre. Survivors include children Ed Osborn of Brighton, Colo., Kim Bejot and husband Evan Evans of Ainsworth, Shawn Osborn and wife Wendy of Littleton, Colo., and Monte Osborn of Ainsworth; eight grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; and sister Ann Arndt and husband John of Independence, Mo.
* Funeral service for Doris Wrage, 94, of Wood Lake, March 3, in the Wood Lake Union Church with burial in the Mount Hope Cemetery at Wood Lake. Doris Wrage passed away Feb. 26 at Broken Bow. Survivors include daughters Gwen Davidson of Thornton, Colo., and Rosemary Overman and husband Bill of Lincoln; two grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; sister Jackie Graff and husband Dean of Ainsworth; sister-in-law Shirley Daniels and husband Noral of Ainsworth; and nieces, nephews and other family members.
* A memorial service for brothers Peter Daniel "Dan" Herrington, 78, of Stuart, and James M. "Jim" Herrington, 93, of Stuart, will be held at a later date. Dan Herrington and Jim Herrington both passed away in February in their home near Stuart. Survivors include brother Robert Herrington of Albuquerque, N.M.; sisters Evelyn Mahlin of Fairbury, and Margaret Zimmerman and husband Larry of Harrison; and nieces, nephews and other family members. Hoch Funeral Home of Bassett is in charge of arrangements.
* Funeral service for Beatrice Foster, 100, of Valentine, March 1, in Holmes Funeral Home of Valentine with a graveside service at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 4, at the Sparks Cemetery. Beatrice Foster passed away Feb. 23 in the Pineview Good Samaritan Center at Valentine. Survivors include children Arvella Foster of Valentine, Charles Foster of Valentine, and Charlene Twitchell of Jerome, Idaho.
* A memorial service for Theresa Taylor, 85, of Ogallala, Feb. 27, in the First United Methodist Church of Ogallala with inurnment in the Ainsworth Cemetery. Theresa Taylor passed away Feb. 22 in the Ogallala Community Hospital. Survivors include sons Leonard Taylor and wife Glenda of Ogallala, and Wayne Taylor and wife Chris of Wahoo; eight grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; and five great-great-grandchildren.
* Funeral service for William E. "Bill" Lippold, 80, of Ainsworth, Feb. 26, in the Ainsworth Zion Lutheran Church with burial in the Lutheran Cemetery near Ainsworth. Bill Lippold passed away Feb. 21 in the Brown County Hospital. Survivors include his wife LaVonne Lippold of Ainsworth; children Camilla "Cammie" See and husband Randy of Grand Island, Lance Lippold of Orange, Calif., Amy Rice and husband Eric of Gothenburg, and Alane Lentz and husband Dan of Ainsworth; seven grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and nieces and nephews.
* A graveside service for Glenn A. Bammerlin, 91, of Rapid City, S.D., formerly of Burton, Feb. 21, at the Black Hills National Cemetery near Sturgis, S.D., Glenn Bammerlin passed away Feb. 18 at Rapid City. Survivors include sisters Lila Heerten and husband Art of Springview, and Jeanne Graff of Coulee Dam, Wash.; and nieces and nephews.
* A graveside service with military honors for Neil E. Anderson, 86, of Long Pine, Feb. 21, at the Grandview Cemetery near Long Pine. Neil Anderson passed away Feb. 18 in the Rock County Hospital at Bassett. Survivors include sons Rex Anderson and wife Rosie of Elm Creek, and Rick Anderson and wife Ione of Bassett; four grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; sisters Bode Sorey of Ainsworth, and Doris Hughes of Ainsworth; sister-in-law Geraldine Anderson of Bassett; and nieces, nephews and cousins.
* A memorial service for Troy Allen Schroder, 41, of Ainsworth, Feb. 8, in the Ainsworth Assembly of God Church. Troy Schroder passed away Feb. 1 in the Good Samaritan Hospital at Kearney. Survivors include his wife Katrina Schroder of Ainsworth; children Keely Vincent of Pierre, S.D., Keagan Schroder of Ainsworth, Andy Davis of Ainsworth, Loretta Turner of Columbus, Crystal Parker of Ainsworth, Ira Haley of Ainsworth, Sherri Turner of Ainsworth, and Roy Turner of Columbus; 17 grandchildren; father Darrold Schroder and wife Ruby of Newport; brother Wayne Schroder and wife Tanya of Stuart; grandmother Edith Keller of Bassett; and aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins.
* Funeral service for Rose Frickel, 93, of Atkinson, Feb. 7, in the St. Joseph's Catholic Church of Atkinson with burial in the St. Joseph's Catholic Cemetery. Rose Frickel passed away Feb. 4 in the Good Samaritan Center at Atkinson. Survivors include children Patricia Rickard and husband Verlin of Dorchester, Joani Prokop and husband Ken of Gresham, Larry Straka and wife Lynette of Battle Creek, Dorothy Garcia and husband Pete of Sioux Falls, S.D., Tom Frickel and wife Patty of Atkinson, Roger Frickel and wife Pam of Atkinson, Marcia Coburn and husband Doug of Atkinson, Robert Frickel of Lincoln, and Richard Frickel and wife Tara of Atkinson; 22 grandchildren; numerous great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren; sisters Cathy White of Omaha, and Sister Beatus Laible of Milwaukee, Wisc.; brother Father Adrian Laible of Omaha; and sisters-in-law Esther Syfie of O'Neill, and Lillian Marquardt and husband Allen of Norfolk.
* Funeral service for Darlene A. Tunink, 92, of Butte, Feb. 6, in the St. Mary's Catholic Church of Spencer with burial in the St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery. Darlene Tunink passed away Feb. 2 in the Butte Healthcare Center.
* Funeral service for Mary Catherine Estes, 77, of Stuart, Feb. 3, in the St. Boniface Catholic Church of Stuart with burial in the Stuart Community Cemetery. Mary Catherine Estes passed away Jan. 29 in the Parkside Manor at Stuart. Survivors include children Rosemary Briggs of Dimondale, Mich., Patti Frickel and husband Tom of Pickstown, S.D., Doris Estes of Stuart, Vickie Seger and husband Leo of Atkinson, and Alan Estes and wife Kim of Stuart; 11 grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; sisters Irene Cobb and husband Larry of Stuart, and Edith Kunz and husband Bert of Lincoln; brother Charles Jansen and wife Carolyn of Stuart; and sisters-in-law Marianne Jansen of Stuart, and Evelyn Rudolf of Chapman.
* Funeral service for John Lien, 80, of Valentine, Feb. 1, in the Our Savior Lutheran Church of Valentine with burial in the Mount Hope Cemetery. John Lien passed away Jan. 28 in the Ainsworth Care Center. Survivors include his wife Lois Lien of Valentine; daughter Deb Witte of Valentine; sons Rick Lien of Hemingford, David Lien of Valentine, Ron Lien of Minatare, and Russ Lien of Aguana, Calif.; sister Betty Rodgers of Valentine; brothers Jim Lien of Tucson, Ariz., Clem Lien of Henderson, Nev., Bill Lien of Gregory, S.D., and Dick Lien of Watertown, S.D.; and sister-in-law Luree Lien.
* A graveside memorial service for Patricia Lynn Carlson, 61, of Omaha formerly of Rock County, Jan. 30, at the Bassett Memorial Park Cemetery. Pat Carlson passed away Jan. 15 in her home. Survivors include her husband Dave Fischer of Omaha; mother Margaret "Peg" Carlson of Bassett; brother Norman Carlson and wife Joann of Albany, N.Y.; sister Jeanie Carlson of Bassett; a niece and a nephew. Memorials have been suggested to the family for future designation.
* A memorial service for Christina Michelle Wolfe, 40, of Valentine, Jan. 24, in the Ainsworth Congregational United Church of Christ with a private family inurnment. Christina Wolfe passed away Jan. 20 in her home. Survivors include her parents Gary and Bonnie Wolfe of Ainsworth; brother Garrett Wolfe of Ainsworth; special friend Pat Greenough of Valentine; two uncles; and cousins.
* Funeral service for Earl Lee Mizner, 61, of Kearney formerly of Ainsworth, Jan. 23, in the Kearney Evangelical Free Church with interment at a later date in the Ainsworth Cemetery. Earl Mizner passed away Jan. 19 in his home. Survivors include his wife Genevieve "Jo" Mizner of Kearney; son Shawn Mizner and wife Nikki of Kearney; daughter Carrie Howell and husband Kelly of Gibbon; seven grandchildren; brothers George Mizner and wife Gwen of Springview, David Mizner and wife Janna of Vernal, Utah, and Ed Mizner and special friend Leona Bukowski of Kearney; sisters Ella DeWeese and special friend Tom McCoy of Kearney, Phyllis Boller and husband Maurice of North Platte, Arvilla Self and husband Mel of Tennessee Ridge, Tenn., Shirley McDonald and husband Glenn of Grand View, Mo., and Cindy Hissong and husband Larry of Ainsworth; sister-in-law Marsha Mizner of Hastings; aunts and other family members.
* A memorial service for James Ocie Perrett, 57, of Perryton, Texas, Jan. 22, in the Wood Lake Union Church with a private family inurnment at the Mount Hope Cemetery near Valentine. James Perrett passed away Jan. 16 from injuries sustained during a multiple-vehicle accident in a dust storm near Colby, Kan. Survivors include his wife Chris of Perryton; children Melissa Leal and husband Michael of Beatrice, Beth Gregory and husband Brett of Fort Worth, Texas, Jessica Perrett of Beatrice, and Michael Perrett of Beatrice; step-children Steven Ellis and wife Erica of Tulsa, Okla., and Tamara Githens and husband Chad of Perryton; eight grandchildren; six step-grandchildren; father Ocie Perrett of Ainsworth; sister Suzie Bussinger and husband Dale of Elk Mound, Wis.; and a niece and nephew.
* A memorial service for Jim A. Davis, 66, of St. Libory formerly of Long Pine, Jan. 22, in the Palmer Lutheran Church with burial in the Grandview Cemetery near Long Pine. Jim Davis passed away Jan. 19 in his home near St. Libory.
* A memorial service for Joann Copeland, 49, of Waco formerly of Bassett, Jan. 13, in the Metz Chapel at York with inurnment at a later date. Joann Copeland passed away Jan. 6 at Waco. Survivors include her husband Don Copeland of Waco; sons Brad Copeland and Keith Copeland of Waco; sisters Lora Clausen of Nampa, Idaho, Bertha Shay of Oregon, Helen Bartlett of Bassett, Linda Devall of Ainsworth, and Ione Anderson of Bassett; brothers Charles Devall, Ed Devall and Harold Devall all of Bassett, and Bob Devall of Inman; mother-in-law Janet Stewart of Bassett; brother-in-law Al Hoffman of Washington; and an uncle.
* Funeral service for Delores A. Lampman, 77, of Norfolk formerly of Butte, Jan. 13, in the St. Mary's Catholic Church of Spencer with burial in the St. Peter and Paul Catholic Cemetery near Butte. Delores Lampmann passed away Jan. 9 in the St. Joseph's Rehabilitation Care Center at Norfolk.
* Funeral service for Bessie L. Poore, 93, of Ainsworth, Jan. 11, in Hoch Funeral Home of Ainsworth with burial in the Ainsworth Cemetery. Bessie Poore passed away Jan. 5 in her home. Survivors include son-in-law Ellis "Al" Hodge of rural Ainsworth; two grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; brothers John Fletcher and wife Melva of Bassett, and Donald Fletcher and wife Geri of Gibbon; and nieces, nephews and other relatives.
* Funeral service for Anna Mary J. Filips, 78, of Spencer, Jan. 11, in the St. Mary's Catholic Church of Spencer with burial in the St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery. Anna Mary Filips passed away Jan. 4 in the Golden Living Center at Hartington.
* Funeral service for Kenneth L. Fegley, 97, of Rapid City, S.D., formerly of Ainsworth, Jan. 11, in Hoch Funeral Home of Ainsworth with burial in the Ainsworth Cemetery. Kenneth Fegley passed away Jan. 7 in the Rapid City Regional Hospital. Survivors include son Richard Fegley and wife Carol of Indianola; daughter Sharon Deutsch and husband Don of Rapid City; 10 grandchildren; 27 great-grandchildren; seven great-great-grandchildren; sisters Lois Pratt of Indianapolis, Ind., and Donnabelle Woods of Canby, Ore.; sisters-in-law Mariel Fegley of Bassett, Glenda Spies of North Platte, and Donna McConnell of Deming, N.M.
* Funeral service for Linda Lou Smith, 68, of Springview, Jan. 9, in the Springview United Methodist Church with burial in the Mount Hope Cemetery. Linda Smith passed away Jan. 5 in her home near Springview. Survivors include her husband John H. Smith of Springview; children Quinn Smith and wife Amy of Ranson, W.V., Michele Smith of Maryland Heights, Mo., and Sheila Bracht and husband Dennis of Arlington; five grandchildren; mother Maxine Jamison of Springview; sisters Nila Gierau of Springview, and Mary Brehm and husband John of Lincoln; brothers-in-law Joseph LaFace of Conway, Ark., Don Smith and wife Jeannie of Carrollton, Texas, and Bill McFarland of Allendale, Ill.; and nieces and nephews.
* Funeral service for Jim Drinkwalter, 89, of Valentine, Jan. 9, in the Valentine Presbyterian Church. Jim Drinkwalter passed away Jan. 5 in the Cherry County Hospital at Valentine. Survivors include his wife Kate Drinkwalter of Valentine; daughters Shelia Nelson of Lincoln and Jan Drinkwalter of Valentine; son Jim Drinkwalter of Lincoln; brother Bill Drinkwalter of South Dakota; and sisters Dorothy Sharp of South Dakota, Mary Lou Thornton of Wyoming, Alma Lea Keller of Colorado, Betty Boykin of Arizona, Delma Fisher of Nebraska, and Charlotte Edwards of Nebraska.
* A memorial service for Keith L. Williams, 77, of Lincoln formerly of the Springview area, Jan. 8, in the Lincoln Memorial Funeral Home. Keith Williams passed away Jan. 4. Survivors include children Joe Williams and wife Trudy, and Stacy Trapp and husband John; nine grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; brother Brad Williams and wife Beverly; brother-in-law Charles Savidge and wife Sharon; and nieces and nephews.
* Funeral service for Blanche M. McCoy, 100, of Springview, Jan. 8, in the Keya Paha County High School gymnasium at Springview with burial in the Mount Hope Cemetery. Blanche McCoy passed away Jan. 2 in the Avera Gregory Healthcare Center at Gregory, S.D. Survivors include son Newell McCoy of Springview; five grandchildren; 14 great-grandchildren; 17 great-great-grandchildren; and nieces, nephews and other family members.